Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:03:01 +0000
WHO have guidelines on this.

Also do a search for the work of Dr Jane Hawdon - she has published several
articles.  She shows that low blood sugar can be physiological; that
current testing methods are useless and misleading; that we don't know what
the normal level is, anyway.

If 'accucheck' is the same as what we call 'BMStix' they are not suitable
for measuring low blood sugar levels in babies. Until recently they were in
widespread use for this purpose in the UK, but I am goad to see they are
used less and less. They're not licensed for this, and making a diagnosis
on the basis of what they show seems very questionable.

The more progressive, bf-friendly  units here do not ever test routinely.
They only test healthy term newborns  if they are symptomatic. Many of us
think there is still too much testing as it is better to fix the bf than to
test and then give formula.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK