Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:44:03 EDT

Celine,
It can be very challenging to be "hands off".
You are really mastering it already. Your statement: "When I get my hands  in
there, I see mom's confidence go down, I see her disappointment with not
being able to get her baby on the breast herself and I feel sooooooooooooo bad"
really says it all. You are shifting your focus from "fixing" to "empowering".
 And, you can see the difference it makes in the mothers. Great Job!
I was really blessed to receive some excellent training in listening to  moms
from La Leche League. This training REALLY helped me feel more  comfortable
hearing and affirming mothers. It also helps  me realize that I am making a
difference - even when it appears to others  that I am not doing anything (wink).
Mothers who are heard and affirmed also get  a big confidence and self-esteem
boost that can make all the difference in a  "hands off" teaching and
empowering environment.
You can contact a La Leche League Group near you and ask for information on
their Communication Skills Workshops, it may really help you, too.
In fact, you might be able to get a LLL Leader to come to the hospital and
provide this training to all direct-patient-care staff.
I can promise you the mother's know the difference, and they like it  :)
Laura Wright
Mississippi

In a message dated 6/22/2007 9:12:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,