From:
Claire Bloodgood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:07:05 -0500
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:17:14 +0100, Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>It is presented as
>demanding, because it is.  I think such information could be included in
>information packs for all mothers, without undermining breastfeeding.
>You can see the info on sterilizing equipment at:
>http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/parents/sterilising.asp
>
>The people who maintain the website also send out research updates to
>anyone who wants to be on their mailing list, at no charge.  I recommend
>taking a look at it.
>Rachel Myr
>Kristiansand, Norway

Is the recommendation to sterilize bottles and teats for the first year
really accurate?  What about spoons and plates for solid food?  What about
toys? What about bits of lint baby picks up as he crawls around?  What
about the parents' skin?

It sounds like an exaggeration to manipulate (too strong a word?) mothers
into choosing breastfeeding.

Don't get me wrong, I know brestfeeding is the best.  It's just that to
protect our credibility, we need to be sure the information we give out is
accurate.  If we tell a mother something and she finds it is not true, she
is likely to doubt other things we told her as well.

-Claire Bloodgood, IBCLC