From:
angie sohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:12:29 -0400
While you probably don't want personal or anecdotal experience only, it may
be all that is available as I have searched and searched the literature and
come up fairly empty handed on this topic.  I have now pumped for 2 years, 3
months and almost 3 weeks.  I give my daughter (who has a g-tube) 12
ounces/day of EBM mixed with pureed fruits, vegetables, cereal, oils, etc.
With the help of Catherine Watson Genna, I tailored her EBM intake by
calculating what we "think" a 1 year old "probably" takes were she breastfed.
At 1 year, I decreased her EBM to 50% of her caloric intake.  At 2 years, I
decreased her EBM to 25% of her caloric intake.  Most 1 year olds need
roughly 1000 calories/day, and most 2 year olds need roughly 1100-1200
calories/day to grow.  I assumed my EBM was about 25 calorie/ounce (based
on the very small amount of clear milk after my milk is refrigerated), and while
it may be higher calorie, Jade is growing well using these calculations.  At age
3, I will decrease to 10% of her caloric intake as I try to simulate as close as I
can what she would be taking if breastfed (that is if I make it that long.  My
supply seems to decrease fairly consistently every month even with the same
pumping regimen and no return of menses at this point.) But luckily my supply
is about double her intake, so I am storing for later.

On that note, anyone know of exclusively and long-term pumpers support
group?  Some days I really need cheerleaders to keep this going!!!

My best,

Angie Sohler, RN, RLC, IBCLC