From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:32:45 -0500

Jennifer, Thank you for posting the parable about more and more babies
drowning.  It brings home so eloquently what I can only try to express in
simple terms.  Why are we so afraid to speak up, carefully, and empower
women and save babies?

I often remember when Sandra Lang spoke at an ILCA conference and told the
story of a European mom whose baby was in the NICU.  The woman pumped milk
for her premie and left it every day to be fed during the nights when she
could not be there to breastfeed directly.  One day, she noticed on the
baby's chart that ABM had been used the previous night.  The mother went
ballistics and, according to Lang, "wiped the floor with the staff."  I
don't see that courage happening in our hospitals in the US.  We are so
intimidated by the hospitals that we are afraid to stand up for the women
and the babies, yet we are so proud of being liberated women (what a joke).
I don't get it.

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC