From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:51:40 +0800
>I've been hearing that there are some hospitals that are required Informed
>Consent forms be signed before formula can be administered to a newborn.  My
>understanding is that the forms tell mothers that formula is an inferior food
>and says they understand their decision to feed formula may have lasting
>consequences.  Is anyone familiar with this?  I'd love to find out what anyone
>knows.

Dia,
I think hospitals in Australia need to get consent before supplementing or
comp'ing newborns with anything, but I'm not sure if they all require
written consent.

NMAA have produced an excellent booklet called 'Resource Booklet for
Breastfeeding Policies and Patient Care Guidelines' that includes sample
consent forms for supplementing, use of nipple shields, and use of dummy
(pacifier), plus an information sheet for handing out to mothers about
hospital rooming-in policy. I am not to what extent this booklet has been
used by hospitals (but it should be!).

The information in the consent form about supplementing is as follows:

'The doctors attending this hospital have agreed that it is undesirable and
unnecessary for babies who are to be breastfed to have any fluids other
than breastmilk. This includes water, glucose and water, and infant
formula.

The postnatal ward will not routinely supplement babies with water or
infant formula for the following reasons:
1. Both soy and cow's milk infant formula can create a potential allergic
response.
2. Any infant formula in the newborn period will interfere with the
protection against infection that colostrum/breastmilk is creating in the
baby's gut.
3. The baby's suck on a bottle teat is different from the baby's suck on
the breast. A breastfed baby can become confused and may then have
difficulty latching onto the breast.
4. Infant formula is more slowly digested than breastmilk, so it can
increase the time between feeds and interfere with establishing
breastfeeding.
5. Studies have shown that breastfeeding a healthy newborn on demand,
without supplement:
(a) encourages early milk production (within 24-48 hours)
(b) decreases the likelihood of jaundice
(c) supports better weight gain in infants
(d) is associated with a longer and more successful lactation'

The forms are based on some from P Bull and L Kutner, articles in early JHL
issues, vol 2 I think (which I don't have copies of). Pat, is that yours?

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia