From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 11:35:34 -0500
Hi all,

I have to give a talk on health care reform and how it will impact
breastfeeding and the future of lactation consultants and childbirth
educators.  I'd like it to be current & timely.  Since we still have a mixed
bag of insurance types in the US -- still some fee for service, PPO, HMO &
managed care/capitation, I'd like some ideas on how you think moving to a
managed care/capitation type of system -- which is SO good for insurances
companies and their CEOs -- though I'm not convinced it truly has reduced
health care costs necessarily -- will impact the future of LCs in hospitals,
offices, in private practice, etc.  What about childbirth educators and their
future in private practice, hospitals, and so on?  Has anyone had any success
convincing a managed care company that they need to pay for lactation
consultants?

If women can't get their insurance to pay for LCs, what do you think the
options are going to be?

Feel free to e-mail me privately, though I think this may be a great
discussion for us all!

Jan Barger, in Wheaton, where it is sunny, nippy, and the leaves are very
nearly gone...