From:
KM Zeretzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 16:03:21 EDT
        OH MY GOSH!!!!  I just read an article in yesterday's newspaper
(hey, I'm *always* behind!) "Abortion, breast cancer may be
linked"--dateline Philadelphia, and buried deep in the article was the
following (and I quote):
        "Researchers agree that a burst of hormones at the start of a
pregnancy causes the breasts to grow.  When a baby is carried to term, it
is believed, another round of hormones turns the primitive cells into
milk-producing cells.  That protects the mother from breast cancer,
especially those who have children early.  It is generally believed that
women who have abortions lose that benefit.  What experts don't know is
whether an abortion adds risk".  Author is David Kinney, an AP writer.
        Something in an anti-breast cancer article that mentions the
protective effects of breastfeeding!!  I'll die happy!
        The article, for those interested veers off on a politically
divided tack of balderdash vs validity of the study....

        Karen Zeretzke, MEd, IBCLC
        Baton Rouge, Louisiana