From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:59:31 -0500
>At that time the 10-month-old was taken to the pediatrician
>for some reason and it was discovered that he had dropped on his growth
>chart for weight.  He was being breastfed and given table foods.  The
>pediatrician (a different one) chastised this mom for starving her child by
>not giving the child cereal, formula, and baby food and all but threatened
>to have her child taken away from her.

Cindi, I realize my comments did not address your initial question about the
hypoglycemia -- but that's because I am not qualified to address this
question at all.  Sorry if I derailed the discussion over to whether or not
babiess should or should not be sleeping for long stretches night at this age.

I remained concerned about this baby, and also about the next older one.  I
would contend that a 10 month old being breastfed and offered ad lib table
foods should not be losing weight or dropping down the percentiles.  Perhaps
the table foods were inappropriate or not in sufficient quantity, or the
child wasn't capable yet of really dealing with them, or wasn't given enough
time to.  The growth faltering is odd, and the pediatrician sounds like he
was quite heavy-handed in the way he tried to address this issue with the
mother, but still, something sounds like it is not quite right here . . .

One child who doesn't gain as it should, another who sleeps for long
stretches at a very young age.

I don't know, this just makes me nervous.  I am *not* suggesting that the
mother is at fault here, but rather suggesting that both of these children
may have some sub-clinical undiagnosed issues going on, one manifesting as
slow growth, the other as unusual sleep patterns at night.  Does "unusual"
sound better than abnormal?  How is the older child doing now?  Did the
mother switch to cereal and pureed baby foods after the pediatrician advised
her to?  Did the child start growing better?

Kathy Dettwyler