From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:16:34 -0400
Our closet one is not renting pumps and I did contact my rep who told me that each one was assigned an LC, or she thought to work closely with. Not the case in any that I called and was a mom who needed a pump, had no clue what she needed, or what to do.

I disagree that they would get their rental pumps elsewhere however in that the only other true hospital grade pump is Ameda/Hollister and I do not see them going down that path. If they did I would be the first one knocking on my reps door. I have seen Medela go from providing to LC's etc to slowly coming in with a new marketing plan and not helping with what they do have. I have yet to meet an LC who has not had issues with condensation in the tubing yet their answer is to leave the tubes connected and let dry or use alcohol. My answer is fix the problem as my other pumps do not have that issue as they report that all do. Then I get a mailer talking about the Feeding and Storage set after it is now online; used to be storage and feeding set remember? Now pumps at places where they do not belong just like nipple shields. Of course they want shields out there. Diminish the supply, go to LC, get pump rentals, etc etc etc. Marketing tactics regardless of how much good they do when aimed at mothers in the way they are now are wrong. If you try to argue that they do so much so you will overlook it then you could take the same approach with any formula company as they have saved tons of children over the years who could not be nursed, etc and have also done tons of wrong. Just my .02 I know that not all will agree but to quote a professor I once had who overused the statement to no end...we are sliding down a slippery slope. I prefer the other route which is do business with who I believe stands where I would like them to and has great prodcuts.

Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE
Private Practice
Merced, CA