From:
Sheree Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:03:48 -0500
I can respond with a personal anecdote. It's by no means a peer reviewed
study. I used Lily Padz for a couple of months, beginning at the time my son
was about 2 months old. It was over the holidays, and I was working to
decrease oversupply and an over-active letdown. (Both of which have been
greatly improved by applying principles I've learned on Lactnet - mostly
waiting 2 hours before switching breasts.)

Here's my experience, in a nutshell.

Because I was wearing a lot of holiday clothes, I appreciated the fact that
a thick, bright white pad was not visible through my clothes. Would be
especially helpful with summer t-shirts, I would imagine.

The pads stayed on very well all day. Did need rinsed and gently washed with
a drop of soap every night, as they became less adhesive throughout the day.
They dried very quickly - within a couple of minutes. The only time I leaked
was when I used the pads after leaving them sit out for a few days
unprotected. I think a very thin layer of dust had probably settled on them.
They were not as adhesive as normal, and a small amount of milk did collect
in one pad.

I was occasionally using Dr. Newman's APNO with the pads without difficulty.
My nipples did fully heal while using this product.

I didn't experience any irritation, but I think the insert said that
irritation may occur initially, but should go away after a couple of days,
and if not the user should discontinue use of the product. I can't swear to
that, but I think that's what it said. I don't have the insert any more, or
I would check.

I, too, felt the nipple should have some time exposed to air, and didn't
wear them around the clock. Really only when going out. One drawback is that
they are difficult to reapply discreetly.

Hope this helps! I've been wanting to post, but until now have just been
lurking. I've learned so much - thanks to you all!

Sheree Young, LLL, R.N., and stay home mommy
Mother to three breastfeed children: Chloe 5, Aiden 3, and Kellen 6 months