From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 19:54:48 -0700
I'm a first-time poster who hopes you all see the irony in my using this
international communication tool to address a query posed by an IBCLC who
works 10 minutes from me.  I am Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC, a fledgling LC just
outside of Philadelphia.

Deb -- could this be what you're thinking about?  Riordan and Auerbach
(1993 ed.) discuss iron in bmilk at p. 115; they cite a 1972 study that
says early intro of solids impairs the efficiency of iron absorption from
the bmilk.  "Excess iron tends to saturate lactoferrin and thereby
diminish its antinfective properites."  Presumably, iron-fortified formula
would be an "excess amount."  Bullen JJ, Rogers HJ and Leigh L:
Iron-binding proteins in milk and resistance to Escherichia coli infection
in infants, Br Med J 1:69-75, 1972.

The Breastfeeding Answer Book discusses the issue a bit at p. 515 ... but
offers no cites to supporting papers.  "When iron supplements are given to
the BF baby, the iron-binding abilities of lactoferrin and transferrin are
overwhelmed, allowing bacteria to thrive."  [Lactoferrin and transferrin
pick up and bind with iron from baby's gut, thus depriving bad-guy
bacteria from using the iron to mulltiply.]

Ruth Lawrence's book (4th ed'n) says at p. 302 that "When a BF infant must
be supplemented with formula, it is preferable that a formula low in iron
be used to avoid providing excessive iron that will bind with lactoferrin
and interfere with its protective activity."

===
Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC