From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:30:30 -0800
I came to lactnet today to get inspiration and ideas.  Barbara Watson Clays
post about the breastfeeding twins who were in danger from not feeding
offered the support I needed.  I am working with a mother who is depressed
and discourged about having to supplement her 37 week infant.  The mother
has very large nipples at two weeks the baby was 1lb. below her 6lb birth
weight, jaundice, poor suck, sleepy etc.and getting into trouble. She had
successfully nursed two other children, devoted nursing mother.  Despite her
concern that supplementing was the end of nursing, I just kept repeating
coach Smiths mantra...feed the baby, feed the baby.  In order to get her
rapidly declining milk supply up we have to go the whole shebang of pumping,
reglan etc.  We're waiting for the large phlange for the medela pump....
She's just beside herself..feeling guilty, tired, worried etc.
        Barbaras response about maintaining calm during a nursing crisis is just
what I needed.  Mothers need support during a crisis.  They need help to see
the priorities (FEED THE BABY...the easiest way!!) Knowlegable support
(maintain milk supply) Give them a vision of success...down the road...and
calm confidence.....and lastly....a shoulder to cry on or lean on.
        Sometimes we're teachers, sometimes we're activists, sometimes we're
cheerleaders, sometimes we're the voice of reason and professional support.
Sometimes we become counselors. I wish I had a magic wand to make this job
of mothering easy but sometimes it's very hard, sometimes we're the only
ones who understand the loss.  i love this job and I'm so glad to have this
forum for my own support and education.  All of you have no idea the help
you provide.

Thank You
Linda
Clarkston, Wa.