From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:28:51 -0400
A mother in my breastfeeding support group gave me permission to post.  She
would very much like talking to older mothers who have adopted children and
trying to induce lactation.  If any of you have clients who would be
willing to talk with her, please email me privately.

Also, I appreciate the previous comment - I think a few days ago about the
tensions mothers are feeling on this anniversary of loss from a
breastfeeding support group.  For months after I would go with my son to
facilitate the breastfeeding support group in Brooklyn and no one would
show up.

I am just now starting to see clients again in Battery Park City, couples
who have moved in since September 11th and are trying to forge a new
impression of the potential for regrowth.

I went from a lovely view of the water with a very calm couple (who I think
would have done completely fine on their own - just really needed
reassurance) to finally view up close my old office at 90 West Street (just
across the street from the South Towers). I had been told that it would be
torn down, but I saw construction workers there and asked them if it was
being fixed.  They said yes and told me a story about the hated air shaft I
viewed many times a day.  I had to pump in a dusty closet where the
computer server and phone lines were stored because management decided on
an open office (i.e. everyone in cubicles instead of offices).  So, other
than the bathroom that dusty room was the only option for privacy. I had
lots of time to look down that air shaft in the center of the building.
Every disgusting thing you can think of that ends up in the detritus of
city living could be viewed in that airshaft.

It turns out that papers from the Trade Towers were sucked down that shaft
and are still down there now. The mind must work in strange ways to try to
impose hope, because my first thought was wonder that perhaps some of the
wonderful irreplaceable memorabilia from Helen Keller herself might still
be down in that shaft waiting to be found.  Of course the air flow was in
the opposite direction - the windows were blown out from the inside of the
building from the pressure from the airshaft - but who knows?

Susan Burger

(operating on little sleep having stupidly decided to watch some of the
specials I had NEVER watched before about Sept. 11th and coping with my
inability to sleep by writing letters to our local fire departments and one
of the widows until 1:00 am and then awoken to the bagpipes going down
Broadway at 4:30 am)