From:
Rachael Barlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 07:54:06 -0500
A woman I am working with was told that ABM and breastmilk combined were
worse for her than just ABM. Both her pediatrician and her LC told her that
with straight ABM, the body gets used to it and adjusts but with a
combination of real breastmilk and ABM her baby would continue to have gas
and discomfort. Anyone heard of this one? This makes no sense to me and is
not in my books.

Also my guess it that she has thrush and nipple confusion. Please let me
know if I missed something. Her symptoms include:
- extreme "burning and stinging pain on latchon and throughout nursing"
(quote from the Mom)
- shiny, red nipples
-antibiotics during labor with pain starting 2 days later
- no pain aside from engorgement while not nursing
- cracked nipple on the left breast (LB)
- LB nipple ripped
- can nurse from the RB
- both left and right nipples look similar. both protrude a great deal -
like 1/2 inch
-baby feed ABM after every feed from birth per nurses recommendation
- babys tongue all over the place on latch on. she tries to put it on top. I
showed Mom how to tell that it is on the bottom.
-baby's mouth not quite open enough - I showed Mom to wait until really
wide.
-baby's positioning was off - body not in line - I explained to Mom and
showed her.
- no clicking sounds
- much discomfort on bottom part of the nipple on the LB but lower lip is
out.
- 2 older sibs did not have short frendulum and plus she can nurse from RB

At this point she discontinued nursing because she doesn't want to cause gas
and doesn't have enough milk to  just nurse.

I gave information about:
- getting thrush meds
- checking for short frendulum
- benefits of breastmilk
- how to dry up milk if she decides to quit, as she is thinking

Any suggestions?

Rachael Barlow
LLLL in Westford, MA