Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:58:35 EDT
When I was working with District 4 WIC program in Georgia, USA, we used
condoms as model breasts for demo purposes.  A very good friend of mine who
is LD, RD, IBCLC suggested it when we were putting together a workshop for
our district nurses.  The reservoir at the end provides a great demo nipple
and we can blow it up a lot to show a different nipple or engorged breast,
etc...but don't use the lubricated kind, they're hard to blow up.
(Unfortunately, I know this from experience when all our pharmacy had was
lubed condoms)

Even though I no longer work in the public health/nutrition arena, I have had
the continuing pleasure of counseling one of my closest friends through her
first and probably only pregnancy.  She is so eager to BF her little boy when
he is born in Dec.  She had non-Hodgkins lymphoma 6 years ago and no one was
even sure she was able to get pregnant after her chemo treatments.  I'm going
to get to be right there with her during the birth so I can help her with the
BF past delivery!  It's such a pleasure teaching/talking with someone who I
don't have to persuade to BF.  Just the protection against CA in her and her
baby were more than enough to convince her!  Her hubby is also very
supportive.

Happy BF Week to ALL!  I'll be wearing my BF buttons to the office I work at
tomorrow and when anyone asks, I will tell them about Aug 1-7.  No longer
working with BF families, but still out there fighting the good fight!

Amanda Austin, IBCLC
 Griffin, GA  (formerly Amanda Copeland)