From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:30:21 +1100
Hi Susan,
I hope my post didn't come across as saying that any individual IBCLC was
better than another because of whatever other background they had because
that was not my intention. I agree with you a good IBCLC will be committed
to breastfeeding. The point I was trying to make is that there is a group of
people who sit the IBLCE who are doing so in order to have more initials
after their name to advance their career. Because there are genuine
lactation consultants (ie they have the 'right' qualification) who are not
genuine supporters of breastfeeding  and these lactation consultants come
from a health care provider background it is not possible to determine that
someone who has IBCLC after their name is going to be helpful. It's not to
say that there are not many wonderful IBCLCs from a medical (of whatever
variety) background who are committed to breastfeeding and are knowledgeable
about breastfeeding, because clearly there are and their backgrounds often
add enormous value to the way they are able to help mothers! However, I am
concerned that there is an increasing number of IBCLCs who are neither
committed to bf nor knowledgeable about bf and that concerns me and that
this growing group comes from the health care field. I would suggest lay
counsellors are *by definition* committed to breastfeeding and the point in
making the comparison is not to unfairly praise a particular group but to
make a contrast. This conversation is within a context in which it is being
suggested that it be made easier for health care professionals to get
lactation qualifications and at the same time it seems to be being made
harder for those with a lay counsellor background to get qualifications.
Clearly commitment to breastfeeding is the foundation for a good IBCLC.
It's not so much about education as about motivation.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

> First I want to address Karleen's and others who have posted similar
> concerns about the differences between lay counselors and IBCLCs.  I think
> that the differences in commitment towards breastfeeding are not
necessarily
> due to the choice of being a lay counselor and a professional than the
> general background and attitudes of the person involved.  The concerns you
> have raised are important ones that should be incorporated into the
training
> for IBCLCs.
A good IBCLC should be every bit as committed to breastfeeding as any lay