From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:39:05 +0200
I am probably one of the last and least on Lactnet to comment on a
Hispanic population, but I have seen interesting interventions with my
local population, which is primarily of North African (Morocco, Tunisia)
extraction. These people are dark-skinned, like the Hispanics, thus have
an extra dose of melanin, nature's sun screen. Although the campaign to
prevent melanoma (skin cancer) is pretty new here, encouraging moms *not*
to expose their kids to the sun for hours on end, as was the practice,
vitamin D has been routinely given to *all* babies, no matter what their
skin color or method of infant feeding, since at least when my firstborn
arrived (24 years ago). Here it is started at age 2 months, I think. And
we have LOTS of sun. When is it started in more northern climes?
Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, where winter finally came and rain! finally broke
the drought on Tuesday