From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:58:43 -0400
This could be due to a lot of things. My first thought would be to ask the
mother if she might be pregnant. This might cause a change in taste of the
milk even before the mother knows her condition. My Second guess would be
that the toddler is just weaning and is objecting to the normal change in
taste that occurs during involution. Then again, toddlers love to say funny
things (I know as my own dd is a few months younger than this baby) and the
baby may have just learned the word "Yucky" and is applying it to
everything. (My toddler often tells me, "No Nummie num, Mama." only to lift
my shirt a few minutes later and demand nummies.) Toddlers often love to
tease while exersizing their newfound ability to pull away and say "no"
only to return for comfirmation of Mama's love a instant later. Maybe the
mother has added something with a strong flavor to her diet. Garlic
capsules and other foods and supplements can cause a taste change and
although small babies will drink more milk that is garlic flavored, a
toddler with an experience of solids that she likes or doesn't like may
take a different opinion of spicy milk.

My last thought would be that something scary might be happening. There
have been cases where the first symptoms of breast cancer is a child
refusing to nurse on the affected side. This a pretty rare occurance and I
would only mention it to the mother carefully after all the other options
have been explored and do not seem to be the cause.

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, BS, LLLLeader, AAPL, Post Partum doula (semiretired)
Private Practice