From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:54:03 -0500
This is a fairly common concern in the Southern USA. These situations are a
good time to use your counseling skills. Just do some reflecting back of
mother's concerns and possibly get to a point where she comes up with some
solutions or she'll be able to take some suggestions from you. I think here
is a time when a personal experience or giving an example of another client
can be helpful. This week I did share that I had a boy who was 5 yo when I
had my next child to bf. Of course I was totally comfortable with bf her,
but I didn't let on to the mother. I shared with her that I decided to just
be matter of fact about it, that I figured a child that age doesn't
associate the breast with any sexual thing, and that, in fact, he just saw
bf as a matter of course. I think it gave her something to think about, I
put it in a way that maybe I had the same concerns as she did but it worked
out ok.

Another part is that sometimes the male partner will be the one very
uncomfortable with bf in front of a boy. Also weaning a boy sooner than a
girl is sometimes done, because it is considered improper to bf a boy past
about 6 months.  I think we have discussed this before on lactnet.

So many barriers to overcome,
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA