Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:27:33 +0100
Barbara Wilson-Clay writes that "...it is disheartening to then get a copy of
the document "Healthier US:  The President's Health and Fitness Initiative"
and find not one word in it about infant feeding practices and the
contribution of
formula feeding to obesity and a host of other preventable diseases.

I know this is no comfort at all, but we had a lecture by a researcher who is
affiliated with a project about obesity in children this week.  She lectured
on another topic, but I asked her what the project is doing with regard to
breastfeeding as part of the strategy to prevent childhood obesity.  This is a
Swedish mother of three who is of at least average intelligence and heavily
involved in the area of public health.  Her answer?
"Oh yes, we have a pediatrician who is always going on about that, but I don't
believe it really makes any difference.  I think lifestyle changes later on in
childhood are the way to go."

To make the irony complete, her lecture was on 'the reasons diabetic
adolescents start smoking' and she gave example upon astounding example of how
these young people behave as though the well-documented information on the
risks of smoking if one has diabetes simply does not exist, which she finds
shocking.
Sometimes 'sheesh' just doesn't even begin to cover it.
Rachel Myr