From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:16:05 -0400
Hi. I am currently working with a mother who has a 2 1/2 week old baby. Born
2 weeks post due.  Meconium, suctioning, etc.  One week in Nicu on IV
antibiotics, thrush..difficult time latching then as well.  MOther pumping,
but not as much as she should.

Now...mother pumping 8 times a day doubly.  Baby will not latch at
all...except sporadically on a nipple shield.  Mother has been coming to LLL
meetings since month 2 of pregnancy..and is very knowledgeable. When I saw
this baby, he would swallow with his mouth *open*...milk that was being
dripped on breast via syringe.  Baby being fed now with syringe and largest
finger..and a wide based bottle also...and will latch onto breast maybe
twice daily with a nipple shield.

Has tried rebirthing bath....and baby just will not latch.  He cries, and
bobs on and off.

This is a friend of mine, and I am really attempting to help her, but I am
not sure I know what to do next.  I do not know if it is the difficult
birth, or the suctioning, or the thrush (this is resolving with nystatin).
Baby was taken off breast entirely a few days ago. ....to give both he and
the mother a rest from the stress of trying to bf...baby screams so much
that mother is really losing it.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Mother is supporting her supply
with the pump, but she is reaching the end of her rope. I keep thinking
there must be something I have forgotten....and I know how very important
this is to her.

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html