From:
Mary Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:28:30 -0000
And I have seen Mike Woolridge describe how the initial fat content of a
feed is higher when the gap between feeds is less.  maybe the answer (or
part of it) is that very short feeds are OK as long as the next feed
happens when the baby wants it - which would be very soon - so the baby is
in control one way or the other, either by choosing length of feeds or
frequency.  Very short frequent feeds are in fact the norm in some cultures
- right, K. Dettwyler?  So breastfeeding is even more flexible than I
thought.  And in Western cultures, very few babies are given the
flexibility to feed very frequently, so the other control becomes
essential.

Something does puzzle me - why do you see so many 'oversupply' 'problems'
in Australia?  Often we find good positioning helps.  Again perhaps if
babies are permitted to exercise control over their feeding, positioning is
less important - perhaps the good latch and effective suckling which seems
so essential to babies here is a by-product of us controlling our babies???

random thoughts, I hope they make sense from
Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland