From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:20:54 -0500
>He told her that unless she
can prove that HM does not become contaminated due to toxins entering her
body, he won't approve of her breastfeeding (glad he's not MY hubby!)<

This phrase scared me, sounds like you may be dealing with an controling/abusive situation here and here's my .02 worth - nothing you will say will 'prove' to this man that anything different from what he is spouting will make a difference.

You are working with her, you need to seriously consider the whole situation, did she sound incredulous (like, can you believe what my husband said?) or apologetic (like, I want to breastfed, but my husband said this) or defensive (like, I know breastfeeding is best, but - my husband said . . .). So you can best decide which way to go.

My reasoning is that if this mom is in a controling/abusive situation, presenting research may not work, only push this issue into a bigger 'conflict.' If she is defensive, she may not want to breastfeed and is using her hubby (maybe perhaps just a comment he made) as an excuse.

If you can find out how the mom actually feels concerning her desires, information and plans concerning breastfeeding, you may be able to find the right direction to go, which may make it easier, more likely for breastfeeding to be initiated.

For controling/abusive husbands, a male reference/contact, may work the best. Check the archives, Dr. Jack's handouts and WABA, for information. He just may see you as a female, putting 'wrong' ideas in his 'misguided' wife's head.

Oops, didn't mean to go on so long, but I have to admit, when I hear some key phrases, they hit a real 'hot' button in me. . .

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX