From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:41:46 EDT

In a message dated 4/18/2005 9:56:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Nikki,   Could you please clarify what you meant by your statement, "Accordin=
to  the WHO, this course is equivalent in  preparation to that of the
other=20
credentialed breastfeeding helpers: LLL, IBCLC,  CLE, NMC,  etc."  Does
this=20
mean that the WHO thinks that it takes the same  amount of effort, study
and=20
practice hours for all of these  credentials?  I haven't seen the WHO stateme=
nt,=20 so I want to be  clear on this one.

Dear Colleagues:
    The minimum preparation recommended by the WHO for  all that work with
breastfeeding is an 18-hour course. I believe that all staff  working in a
facility seeking to become Baby-Friendly must take an approved  18-hour course.
    The next level of preparation is a 40-hour  course. (Note that the IBLCE
requirement is now 45 hours.) All those graduates  of 40+ hour courses are
considered to be at the same level of preparation for  being certified to work
with most mothers and babies. Within this framework, the  IBCLC, the CLC, the
CLE, the LLL are equivalent.
    In the US, the IBCLC is taken as the standard for  legal requirements of
practice.
    (If one is talking about extensive clinical  preparation, one has to
include the graduate of a baccalaureate program in  lactation, of which there now
are several in the US. I wonder where a graduate  of such a program fits in
this schema?)
    As for many different certifications, there is  already a model of
practice in other disciplines for those. (And I agree, a huge  amount of confusion.)
Is one recommended to see a licensed dietician or a  registered nutritionist?
Does one go to see a general practitioner, a medical  resident, an attending,
or a board-certified practitioner for some medical  condition? All are
licensed; all treat, and all have education and  experience.
    There are many ways to skin a cat.
    Interestingly enough, the same is true in figure  skating. My daughter
was a student of a Master-rated coach. This is the highest  rating in the
Professional Skating Association. However, this coach is not able  to teach skating
very well, despite all her hours of practice and clinical  certifications. Our
present coach has the equivalent of a Masters' degree (from  another country)
in teaching skating, and is a far better practitioner. Yet both  are equally
trained and both have 40+ years of experience.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative