Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:28:45 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I disagree that it is necessarily appropriate to begin solids w this baby. If the baby is TTd solids can be as much if not more of a problem than breastfeeding. If the baby is not ready--I have seen no indications of readiness noted and this is early to begin with--then baby may exhibit little interest anyway and mom may resort to force/spoon feeding purees further ignoring underlying issues. 

IMO structure and oral function need to be the priority here or baby will gain poorly no matter is fed--perhaps w the exception of passively feeding AIM. It concerns me that this mom may have a history of TTd babies yet her take-away will be that she does not make enough milk. Without a baby who can actually empty the breasts one can never know. 

I find its always important in these cases to look at all the kids and help mom understand her history rather than inadvertently feeding myths. She may well have more babies and I think thaty always needs to be concerned in our education. 

As to the cost of solids, if only baby is eating avocado they aren't terribly expensive. This baby needs nutrient-dense foods. My go-to in these cases is letting the baby lick coconut oil off a spoon. Again it might be expensive but if its reserved for the baby it is usually doable. 

Jennifer Tow IBCLC, RLC. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2