From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:45:30 -0700
Our hospital has total rooming in.  This is not elective.  Unless the infant is premature or ill THERE IS NO NURSERY  for the infants to go to.    This has been the hospital policy since the 50's (except for a few years in the 60's, 70's when we briefly had a nighttime nursery, I don't know why, I got hired just as they chose to switch back.  Still, I sometimes hear patients being utterly aghast that we expect them to take care of their babies during the night.

Up until last week, the only people to help patients with their babies during the noc was the nursing staff.  As we had small, double rooms in post-partum, fathers or other significant people were not allowed to spend the night with mom.  We just moved to a new unit, all private rooms, and now other people can also spend the night with mom to help her with her newborn.  Much more like home, right?

Chanita, San Francisco