From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:03:59 -0400
I recently ordered a book from Springhouse Corporation called "Herbal Medicine Handbook."(2001)
I have used the Drug Handbook this company publishes for many years to find out more information about a drug not listed in Hale. It has never been a particularly helpful reference about breastfeeding and drug information.  I was interested in looking up some of the herbals frequently recommended for nursing mothers in this book to see what they would say.

Here is what the books says about fenugreek and breastfeeding. "Pregnant patients should avoid use because of the herb's potential abortifacient properties; alcohol and water extracts of the herb may stimulate uterine activity. Those with liver disease, peptic ulcers, or severe hypotension should avoid use because of the formation of nicotinic acid. Those who have had a previous allergic reaction to fenugreek or nicotinic acid and breast-feeding patients should also avoid use." Under uses it says,"Used to treat GI complaints and to relieve upper respiratory tract congestion and allergies. Used to lower cholesterol, blood glucose, insulin, and hemoglobin A1C levels and to improve glucose tolerance. Also used as an appetite stimulant."

Here is what this book says about blessed thistle. Uses." Used orally to treat digestive problems such as liver and gallbladder diseases, loss of appetite, indigestion and heartburn, constipation, colic, diarrhea, dyspepsisia and flatulence. May also improve memory, relieve menstrual complaints, control amennorrhea, regulate the menstrual cycle, increase perspriation, lower fever, boost a mother's milk production, dissolve blood clots, control bleeding and reduce reheumatic pain. And it's also used as an expectorant and antibiotic."  Under Cautions, "Pregnant and breast-feeding patients should avoid using blessed thistle because it may promote menstruation, those with acute stomach inflammation, ulcers, or heyperacidity because it stimulates gastic juices."

I wonder how it can promote milk production if mom can't take it?

I was also interested in ginger because my oldest daughter is experiencing nausea with her first pregnancy. (I am gonna be a grandma!).  Here is what is says about ginger. Uses."Used most often as an antiemetic in those with motion sickness, morning sickness and generalized nausea. Used to treat colic, flatulence and indigestion. Used to treat hypercholesterolemia, burns, ulcers, depression, importence and liver toxicity. Used as an antiinflammatory for those with arthritis and as an antispasmodic. Also used for its antitumorigenic activity in patients with cancer."  Cautions- "Patients with gallstones or with an allergy to ginger should avoid use. Pregnant women and those with bleeding disorders should avoid using large amoutns of ginger. Patients taking a CNS depressant or an antiarrhythmic should use cautiously."

I wonder how it can help morning sickness if you can't take it in pregnancy? How much is a large amount?

Just wanted to let you know this book is now on the market, and hospitals and doctors offices are likely to purchase this book as a guide. I guess it is really the PDR of herbal medicine....

Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC