From:
Carol Schlef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:30:10 -0500
Hi all,

While I'm in letter-writing mode, I've been asked by one of the BF task
forces I serve on, to ask y'all for names of possible speakers for a day of
"grand rounds" for the physicians in our catchment area.

The general medical makeup is of white, male, rural-born & bred MDs. This
group will only listen to one of "their own". We've had several excellent
speakers--including MDs like Jack Newman and Marianne Neifert, plus a couple
of our local peds (both women). None of the local docs attended these
programs, & they look down their noses at any information we provide from
these sources, saying "they don't understand our situation". Sigh.

So. We've decided to put out a search for a very, very special speaker, just
for them. Trouble is, the person will have to be a)male b)white c)from the
Midwest and d)an MD (Bob Cordes, you might be able to squeak by...we do have
several DOs in the area, too!). Aside from Bob, do any of you know any
bf-savvy guys out there who could meet this challenging group of docs
head-on?

We're talking about docs who are still back in the 50's: STANDING ORDERS to
give water w/each bf, water for jaundice, timed/limited feeds, etc. And
THAT's if they haven't been able to convince the women to bottlefeed in the
first place. In Jack's words, "AAARRRGGGHH"!!!!
 TIA!

Carol

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC
Humor, Health & Hugs
St. Louis, Missouri USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Let Carol provide YOUR group with edutainment for your corporate or
community needs!