From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 12:04:54 -0500
I've had a number of questions concerning Flu vaccinations.  I reviewed the
AAP Red Book on Infectious Diseases to no avail,  they simple had nothing to
say about  using flu vaccines in lactating women.

       I therefore reviewed the package insert on Fluzone(Connaught).  There
are two forms of flu vaccine,  whole virus,  and split virus.  Both are
NON-infectious,  or use dead virus capsules,  so it is apparent to me that
neither would produce an infectious response in the infant.   Flu vaccines
can,  if needed,  be used during pregnancy in immuno-compromized patients,
and even in infants as young as 6 months.  I don't think there should be any
problem using Influenza vaccines in lactating women,  although there are few
real indications for using this product in this patient population..  I
would suggest using the split virus form,  however,  just to be safer,  but
either is probably fine.

Tradename                                            Viral   Form
Fluogen(Parke Davis)                          Split Virus
Flu-Shield(Wyeth)
Fluzone(Connaught)

Fluzone(Connaught)                            Whole Virus
Fluvirin(Adams)                                   Purified Surface Antigen

T.W. Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine