From:
The Mullers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:54:07 -0400
For Sarah and her interest in asthma/breastfeeding:
I, too, am interested in any research that takes in all the variables. I
am a former breastfeeding mom of 4, grandmom of 4 , nurse and lactation
consultant. I breastfed my first child 32 years ago because information
was out there that said it prevented allergies and I had a ton of them.
I was plagued with eczema, mild hayfever and exercise induced asthma. As
we know, now, breastfeeding does not stop the genes for allergy from
being passed to the children, so 2 of my children have allergies. The
first has eczema (I started cows milk at age 4 months) and the last
child has asthma. It was moderately severe from age 6 to 14, but he
hasn't had an attack in 2 years. He was breastfed over 3 years and has
never been started on milk.  I believe this study that links
breastfeeding with asthma has many flaws. I think many women plagued
with allergies (including asthma) have heard of the benefits of
breastfeeding and that they, in overwhelming numbers, have breastfed.
This doesn't negate the good things of breastfeeding. But as we have
known for years it doesn't PREVENT allergies, but postpones and
minimizes them. I don't think it encourages allergies the longer we
breastfeed, but that the women who have allergies breastfeed longer to
benefit their children. And they are benefited. But we need to remember
breastmilk is not a miracle fluid, it is simply a normal fluid, helping
the child grow to be what he was meant to be genetically - not anything
less.  But that means, also, not anything more. Just the best he can be.
Sorry so wordy, but have pondered on this many years,
Cheryl Muller