From:
Duce Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:59:37 -0500
Such nice thoughts (especially about mothers and midwives...:))

My Nativity set has Mary holding the infant in her arms in the cradle hold,
is gazing adoringly at him, and he at her.  Joseph kneels beside and behind
them, with one arm wrapped around Mary in a wonderfully protective embrace.
He too gazes into the face of the babe.

Have been reading the last two weeks of Lactnet, trying to catch up.
Everything is so informative!

Does anyone know what Baby Friendly places are doing re: pain management
and sucrose/pacifiers with circs?  New topic at our place.

Thanks for everything~
~Linda M. Duce RN, CNM  Austin, TX

 On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:46:09 EST, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Ruth says,
>************************************
>
>I've had a gut reaction in the opposite direction
>during the Christmas season.  Nativity scenes always have Jesus in a manger
>and Mary (and everyone else) looking on adoringly.  Lots of people are very
>touched by the tender emotions depicted.  I find the scenes absurd or even
>distressing -- I can't help thinking that if it were my newborn, I'd either
>be adoring him on my lap, or eating and taking a shower while some of those
>other folks made themselves useful by holding him.
>************************************
>I find the scene as depicted on cards and the "manger scenes" that we have
in
>our living rooms a bit annoying as well.  First of all, what self
respecting
>innkeeper/farmer/whatever is going to have a teensy weensy little manger
that
>wouldn't even feed a decent size sheep?  The cow would kick it over!  I
think
>the mangers were rather large, and with some fresh clean straw/hay, it
>probably made a decent bed for Mary and Jesus -- and probably Joseph too.
I think
>she delivered in the manger as well -- the big one.
>
>We have a nativity set that we bring out every Christmas which has all the
>usual accoutrements.  However, the manger is relegated to the "attic" of
the
>stable, and Mary holds Jesus.  (A bit tenuously, I'll admit, since her
arms are
>akimbo in the air, but it works.)  If I was a bit more clever, I'd make
her a
>sling.
>
>I also think her mother was with her as well as a midwife.....
>
>Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
>Wheaton, Illinois
>www.lactationeducationconsultants.com

>LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
>mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Nice thoughts!  My Nativity set has Mary holding the Infant in her arms,
while Joseph kneels behind her on one leg, with his arm wrapped around her
in a wonderfully protective embrace.