Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:53:51 -0500
Phyllis asked:

Do we know what their experience was with jaundice and hypoglycemia and
weight loss at that time?>>

My own personal story is being born in 1961, non-drugged birth and
full-term. I weighed 5#4oz, and by the time I was taken home from the
hospital (my guess is after 7 days), I weighed 4#5oz. That's about a 20%
drop in weight.

My mom's gone now, so I have no idea about jaundice or hypoglycemia, but do
remember her talking about putting us in the windows after we got home. She
breastfed for 6 months, started supplementing with formula at 3 months, and
introduced solids by 3 weeks. She was thrilled to have breastfed at all,
because her mother "couldn't." And that was most likely due to having to
"cleanse" her nipples and breasts with alcohol and boric acid solution
before and after feedings.

I suppose I'm a typical "baby boomer" baby. I've got auto-immune disorders
and have struggled with my weight my entire life. But, perhaps the story
does give some insight into how baby-boomer grandmothers do not really
understand, nor trust, the breastfeeding suggestions of today.

Happy New Year from (FINALLY) sunny Ohio,
Heather "Sam" Doak