Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:09:20 +0000

>It also sounds as if oversupply and/or overactive MER could be
>involved, going by the baby's rate of weight gain and behavior at
>breast.  Trying different bf-management techniques might help --
>nursing on one side for x hours at a time, having baby nurse
>'uphill', etc.
>
>Warmly,
>Margaret
>Longmont, CO

I thought 'overly-generous supply' when I read about this baby,
too.....I often speak to mothers whose babies gain appropriately,
often putting on a lot of weight, and who are developing normally and
who seem basically happy and healthy some of the time, but who do
this arching of the back/refusing to feed thing.

I'm not a physician, so I would always go for the simple
bf-management option first, rather than meds....that is, as Margaret
says, having the baby come to the same breast for several hours at a
time.

I don't suggest feeding uphill unless this one-sided feeding has
already been tried - one-sided feeding is so easy (as long as the mum
knows to gently express the unused side if she needs to, in order to
avoid discomfort) and it very often works.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK