From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:51:29 -0500

>I never heard of this... "storage capacity" of a breast... Oddball question:
>then does this explain why some women are able to produce larger VOLUMES of
>milk than other women, or why some babies might want to feed more often than
>others? Or am I getting this whole concept wrong?

I ordered his tape after I heard him speak, which I do recomend if you want
to better understand storage capacity, milk transfer.  The tape is from his
lecture at "The Art  & Science of Breastfeeding & Human Lactation" Jan. 11,
1996 conference.  Audiotape-Peter Hartmann:  Metabolic Control of the Human
Lactation Cycle:  Regulation of Supply to Demand.  Contact HEA at (508)
888-8044.
Some articles that are helpful in addition are: Journal of Experimental
Physiology (1989), 74, pp. 419-428, "Measuring Short-term Rates of Milk
Synthesis in Breast-Feeding Mothers", by Arthur, Jones, Spruce, and Hartmann.
  Experimental Physiology (1993), 78, pp.205-220.  "The Short-Term Synthesis
and Infant-Regulated Removal of Milk in Lactating Women", by Daly, Owens, and
Hartmann.   Experimental Physiology (1992), 77, pp. 79-87.  "The
Determination of Short-Term Breast Volume Changes and the Rate of Synthesis
of Human Milk using Computerized Breast Measurement"  by Daly, Kent, Huynh,
Owens, Alexander, and Hartmann.  Svenska Lakartidnigngen, 40, okt, 1956,
Journal of the Swedish Medical Association (translated).  "The Mechanics of
Different Methods of Emptying the Female Breast" by Einar Egnell.
Happy Election for those of you in US.  I still am sorta confused by it all.
Anyone else clear minded?? Have a great day.
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow; it only saps today of its
strength."  A.J Cronin

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela
Naperville, IL