From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:00:24 -0500
Dear Diane,

Got some information at work last night about anti-phospholipid syndrome.
 It is associated with the production of lupus anticoagulant and
anti-cardiolipin antibodies, which lead to a state of hypercoaguability.
In other words, her blood tends to clot too quickly, leading to
thrombosis within the body tissues.  From what I read, this seems to be
an aquired condition rather than genetic.  It is associated with many
disease states,  including some types of heart and vascular disease,
eclampsia, fibrocystic disease of the breast (could there be a connection
here to low milk supply), arthritis and more serious things such as AIDS,
hepatitis, lupus, and several types of cancer, including cervical and
bone marrow.  Do you know if she is being worked up for any of this?
Certainly an underlying serious health problem could affect her body's
ability to produce milk.  There wasn't a whole lot of information
available in my lab texts and my interpretation may be a bit lacking.
Perhaps someone else more knowlegable in this area can help to fill in
the blanks.  I would be interested in knowing more also, as I am working
with a client now who has anticardiolipin antibodies  (her baby is not
latching well - mom had a labor with lots of pit, an epidual at 4 cm.,
etc.).  Hope this at least  gets you started.

Sharon Knorr
Lactation Consultant Services
Rochester, New York
mailto:[log in to unmask]