From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:47:04 -0500
I hate to beat a dead horse about the kidney donation, but there is
nothing about this surgery that would put a woman at risk for lowering
her milk supply, any more than another major surgery would. I don't
agree that fluid shifts and pain medication are any different with
kidney donation than any other major surgery, such as a partial bowel
resection. A healthy donor has another nice healthy kidney that picks up
the fluid load readily. From day 1 postop, the only difference a donor
may notice is a higher blood pressure, although mine never topped 100/70.
Many transplant centers send donors home 24 hours after their
nephrectomy, though others still keep their donors for 2-3 days postop.
Pain meds are only needed for 3-4 days, unless there are complications.
Anne Eglash MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Dept of Family Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
600 N. 8th St.
Mount Horeb, WI, 53572
608-437-3064 (O)
608-437-4542 (fax)