From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 09:11:07 -0600
Bravo Jessica.

I also posted about the Dr. Newman interview on wetnursing that happened to
air yesterday on Canadian TV.  His interview was like night and day to Dr.
Phil's comments.

The host asked Newman about frequency (of wetnursing). He said he does hear
about it. He said his wife had nursed her sister's baby, while babysitting
while the parents went out for the evening. Mom had left bottle of
breastmilk, but baby wouldn't take it, so she nursed it instead.

Gil asked about risks. Newman said there are few viruses that could be
transmitted through breastmilk, but risk is very small. He didn't seem very
concerned about it at all, and didn't emphasize it. Gil asked about other
health professionals, and he admitted that there would be many that would
not advise it. He said if you trust the mom, go ahead.

He also said you could pastuerise. Gil was surprised and asked how. He said
just place the milk in a glass jar, heat it in a pan of water, and cool.

He was so casual about it.

The hostess of the show (Gil Deacon) disclosed that she had nursed a friends
baby. Both she and friend had babies at same time. Friend was busy and tied
up with something at house. Her baby was crying. Gil was looking after baby,
and yelled up to mom "shall I nurse him?" Moms said go ahead. Gil nursed
him, just for a moment. She said it was weird, because she started getting
all those feelings, and baby was a bit confused cause baby knew milk was
different, mom smelled different etc.

Gil said, even though the mom and she were best of friends, and mom had said
to do so, mom had kind of a weird look on her face when she came back into
the room.

Anyhow, I really applaud the show, and the tone in which the host, the
wetnurse and Dr. Newman discussed the topic.

(I know Dr. Newman, and know the bfing establishment in Canada. I'm sure
there are many that are freaking out about what he said about wetnursing and
pastuerizing!!! He's such a radical - or is he actually so grounded and
common sense ?!?!?  He would not be drawn into saying the wetnursing was
dangerous, or implying that breast milk was somehow dangerous.)

Janice Reynolds