From:
Nicole Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:25:16 -0400
Hi Lactnetters,

After a month or so of lurking, I need help! I am a LLL Leader and I received a call from the mother of a 1 year old yesterday. This child has SEVERE allergies...mom doesn't eat wheat, dairy, peanuts, or citrus because when she does he has blood streaks in his stool. He also has eczema. Started trying to introduce solids at 6 months. He was given applesauce, pureed pears, banana, and rice cereal at various times over the past 6 months. Not only does he generally refuse them, but after digesting what little has gotten down him he once again has blood streaks in his stool. Mom is concerned that his diet is now going to be nutritionally deficient since he is still basically only BF. The ped. has been very supportive so far, stating to just keep trying solids occasionally with BM being his primary food source. However, mom is concerned that he may choose a new course of action since the child is getting older. She has an appointment with the ped. on 9/6/96 and would like to go i!
 n with at least a basic knowledge of what her milk may or may not be lacking in. She is very careful to eat a varied diet with the exception of those things that are known to be common sources of allergies. Any info you all can pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Nicole Hester, LLLL