From:
Jo-Anne and Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:36:42 -0400
Judy Ritchie wrote,

> But the extreme sun is probably fine for the native aborigines
> (as
> long as they stay on their cultural diet)

and talked in her post about various types of fats.
I would love to hear more about this. In some "natural health"
literature they mention such ideas as in tropical countries, where
traditional cultures were exposed to great amounts of sunlight (although
sometimes they still had rainforests, then, of course) the fats that
were used were very high-cholesterol and would never be recommended in
diets today (for instance, coconut oil) and created a deep layer of
subcutaneous fat. I have no way of knowing if this sort of statement has
any basis in fact *other than* my knowledge of diet in some of these
cultures. Certainly my husband's people didn't typically die of heart
disease, but that could just as easily be because they died of other
diseases (like chicken pox) before that. Does anyone know if eating more
of the traditional kinds of fat protects the skin from the sun?
Jo-Anne