From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:43:31 -0800
Much to my surprise, I have observed a different
sequence of events with pp bleeds/hemmorage. I fully
expected mothers with 800-1,200 ml bleeds to have
difficulty bringing in milk, the opposite has been
noted. One case in particular: the G3P2 mother, approx
26yo sustained a 1,200 ml hemmorage, and was in ICU.
She was transfused rapidly with 3-4 units and IV
fluids. As soon as she was able to sit up, 24-36 hours
post delivery, she started pumping (with a single kit)
and 3 days later was collecting 2-3 ounces of milk
easily. I was really surprised! This has happened
several times. The midwives think the the fast
repalcement of fluids, minimizes the effect of the
bleeding. We now aggressively pump/nurse with any and
all bleeding difficulties. I think lactation is
supposed to happen. Anne Andrianos in Central New York