Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:04:01 -0700
Hi folks,

I have another question -- I've been approached by a mum who has been
prescribed Novamizadol (metronizadole) 500mg 2x/day.  She has been
told by her doctor not to breastfeed for the course of the
prescription (10 days) plus 3 more days.  She asked if there was
another antibiotic she could take instead, but he said no.  Her
daughter is 13 months, so obviously won't starve without breastmilk,
but both mum and daughter are extremely attached to their evening
nursing session for comfort.  The mum is quite distraught about the
emotional effect of cutting her daughter off cold turkey, not to
mention the possibility she might wean herself.  Yesterday was her
first day on the medication, and she said last night was awful.

My questions are
1) Just how unsafe is metronizadole during lactation, and
2) Would nursing just once or twice a day reduce the amount of drug
the baby receives to an "acceptable" level?

Thanks in advance (I should look this up myself, but since moving, my
books are still lost in the pile of boxes in the basement)

Jennifer Landels, BA, CBE
Vancouver BC