From:
Victoria Nesterova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 10:11:13 +0300
Dear friends,

Mom permitted me to ask. She is prone to allergies, and noticed that when
she smells her own milk (even fresh, at letdown, but also she reacts to
spilled), she gets symptoms of wheezing. Is anybody knows something about
inhalational allergy to breastmilk? There are posts in archives about mom,
who get skin rashes from her milk. Can it be some kind of complicated
reaction to something mom eats? For example, she is mildly allergic to some
food, and reacts stronger when smells

She used to drink "liters" of cow milk; I recommended removing it from her
diet for a while and seeing whether it helps.

Another question is about her baby. He is 5 weeks and is pure tongue
thruster. He breastfeeds with shield and has developed rather efficient
technique. Mom has strong letdown. He rhythmically presses on shield with
his tongue, breast reacts with releasing some milk, and he sucks it from the
shield (Mom compares suction to level 5 on her Medela hand pump). He gained
800 g in first month. He cannot suck on bare breast even when it drips with
milk and becomes frustrated soon. We tried improving position and latch,
breast sandwich, different positions, but he continues to push breast out of
his mouth. Mom said that he was unable to suck efficiently on breast since
birth, until nipple shield was used.

Sadly, I cannot refer her to somebody more experienced for help - nobody
here even knows about tongue thrusting. Is it appropriate I ask here to
review my suggestions in case I missed something? I gave her tongue training
exercises from Breastfeeding Answer Book (many thanks to Lisa Marasco for
her gift), advised lots of time near the bare breast, allowing him to
explore it, try to nurse him in sling, when rocking, walking, sleeping,
co-bathing, allowing him to self-attach,

Can some fingerfeeding help? (It is very unusual idea here)

Parents sometimes give him some expressed milk in Avent bottle; mom said he
doesn't like spoon- or cup-feeding. I explained her Dee Kassing's method of
bottlefeeding. Can it help him to learn to groove his tongue?

Should she do some insurance pumping? Now milk supply is great but I worry
about time when autocrine control kicks in.

Sincerely yours,

Victoria Nesterova, breastfeeding supporter, mom to 3

Kiev, Ukraine