From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:21:35 -0800
Hi,
  I have been waiting to see if anyone with more expertise on this subject would add this thought to this thread, but haven't seen it, so I'll chime in.  I know that I read "somewhere" that the reason 4 - 6 months was first proposed for beginning solids is because in developing worlds, the mother's diet may be so deficient, both during breastfeeding as well as during the pregnancy, that those babies may need to start solids earlier in order to get all their nutrients, than the babies of mother's in more affluent, well fed countries.  That's not to say that "Watch the baby, not the calendar" isn't valid, but I was under the impression that was the main "clinical" reason for suggesting starting solids before 6 months.  Of course, I can't remember where I first heard or read this, so have no references, but maybe someone else remembers it, too.
  Kristeen Rogers, RN, IBCLC