Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:11:13 -0500
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a little while, and I've learned a lot. I want
to present a difficult situation here for your input.  While I am a
volunteer breastfeeding counselor, this is my own story.

I am currently nursing a 3 1/2 yo.  He nurses just a few times a day (or
more if he's bored or has been a particularly picky eater that day  ;-)  ),
including before bed, usually.  I have been diagnosed with a UTI, and
here's where the fun stuff comes in. ;-)

The first medication the MD mentioned was Levaquine, which, from what I can
tell, is not okay while nursing.  (This is my MD's partner, but my MD, who
is *very* bfing friendly, even said he can't prescribe it.  I was unsure
about it after reading the data in Medications and Mother's Milk, but a
pharmacist did tell me it's not prescribed for anyone under 18 yo.)  I am
allergic to sulfa drugs, so Bactrim is out, and I had a bad reaction to
Macrobid  -- severe cramps -- the last time that was prescribed for me
several years ago.  (I was about 5 months pregnant, so I don't know if that
made a difference.)  Another medication that was mentioned was Keflex, but
my son had a reaction when I took that once before.

They gave me a two-day supply of Biaxin (two pills once a day for two days,
which I took Wednesday and Thursday of last week -- this was originally
diagnosed/confirmed on June 22), but that doesn't seem to have worked.  The
symptoms, mostly irritation all the time, are still there, although there
is no visible blood in urine, even though there must be some, because it
was originally diagnosed via urine test.

When I called back this week, they pretty much said that the only thing we
could do would be go back to the Levaquine and I'd have to pump and dump
for the three days.  This is really not a good option for me, and I'd love
to research any other possible way of handling this first.

Additional complicating factors:  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
(hypothyroidism) and a history of IDGDM, although my sugar is fine now.  (I
was looking at some herbal/homeopathic remedies and one or both of them
were listed as contraindications for some of the remedies.)

I am looking for any other suggestions/options I can present to my MD and
supporting information.  I know that, if I can support the information, my
MD is more than willing to listen and will not have a problem going with
it.  I will talk to him within the next few days (at the latest), so I'd
appreciate any responses as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone.

Cindy Tarsi