From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 18:30:19 -0500
I do test weights with every consultation because I only work with
problem situations. I feel very strongly that test weights, or at least
knowing the current naked weight of the baby is vital or else the IBCLC
can not do her job correctly, nor make the correct assessment. I have
done test weights with too many babies who look perfect with active
sucking but with poor intake which explains why they aren't gaining
weight! I do weigh the babies in a dry and clean diaper. This weighs
7/10 th of an ounce on my Tanita BLB12 scale. I also like to put the
babies on their sides to weigh them. They usually cry and flail around
on their backs. On their sides, they tend to be less flailing. And you
can have them grab the side of the weight pan and they will often stop
flailing if they grab that.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC