From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:18:27 +1000
I posted this case some years ago now, but will again out of interest.  LC
colleague of mine arrived for work and walked through the special care
nursery to find everyone crowded around a baby which they were working up -
and getting ready to transfer to a tertiary hospital.  Apparently he'd
passed several melaena (blood in stool) stools through the night.  They
were very large - size of a dinner plate.
Being the good LC she is she decided she'd better go and help the mother to
express to send some milk with the baby.  She started hand expressing her
and the blood started pouring.  She had to apply pressure and ended up
soaking a large combine pad before the intraductal bleeding
stopped.  Needless to say the baby didn't get shipped out anywhere after all.
The mother decided she wouldn't breastfeed.I don't know the end of the
story, sorry - ie whether she was further followed up to find the cause - i
hope so.

Denise

Denise Fisher BN, RN, RM, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies