From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 00:40:31 EST
I know this is an old thread, but I just read every post and am surprised by
a lot of the responses.

In a message dated 12/12/0 1:14:56 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Baby at 2 weeks of age begins crying at least hours a day, mostly in
evening and nights.>>

I agree w/ Barbara that crying needs a response from the parents and those
tryimg to assist the mom.

<<  We discussed foods, ad nauseaum. Mother does not eat much and states
foods she does eat are not eaten frequently.  Does not eat or drink cow's
protein. >>

I do not understand this. How can she eat only limited foods, but not eat
them frquently, unless as someone mentioned, she has food issues. If stress
is just keeping her from eating much right now, I would still do a lot more
research into the food issue. Dairy is certainly not the only allergen, but
it is the only one anyone suggested, even though it says the mom does not eat
cow milk protein. I have not eaten cow milk protein in 13 years, so I would
certainly need to look into other allergens (my toddler was allergic to
soy--which I ate a lot when pregnant with him). I always look at the mother's
diet and especially foods she consumed a lot in pregnancy or foods she
craves. I am surprised that Rob thinks this puts blame on mothers. I assume a
mother would rather solve an allergy problem than end up A/F only to learn
later that she could have solved problems by eliminating peanuts or corn or
whatever from her own diet. This is a bit of that fear of guilt concept that
surrepticiously support AF.

<<  When nursing baby does not gulp a lot so T don't think the baby is
getting excessive air, except maybe by continuous crying.>>

Lots of comments about mom not responding to baby, but it doesn't say that in
the original post. And there is nothing about "crying all the time", only
evening crying/nightime crying. I find that most babies who do this do not
want to nurse at this time, or will nurse on and off, on and off for hours.

<< Baby wants to nurse all the time and is gaining weight well.>>

There is no comment that mom is unresponsive--sounds like she is nursing on
cue.

<< Doc says colic.  Gave Mom a list to help nothing helps.  Suggestions may
help initially but then back to crying.>>

Okay, I have mothered this poor, miserable baby myself. Everything except the
infrequent stooling. It started at about 3 weeks and stopped at 3 mos. I
cannot prove this, but I know in my heart that if I had known about CST or
Network Chiropractic at the time, she would have not suffered as she did. She
does not, nor did she ever have food allergies, except citrus. When I have
seen other babies like this, I have referred for such body work and seen
great results.

<<BMs are yellow when she has BMs.  Baby stopped having BMs without
stimulation at 2 weeks.  Mom stimulates with thermometer every couple days.
 When baby does have BM very large.>>

I hate to say it, but many moms have told me their peds told them to do this.
It is appalling, but the moms do it--I often wonder when the mothers imagine
they will ever stop doing this! Ughh!

Anyway,  the infrequent stooling at 2 weeks is not normal! So many of the
comments about this mom talked about helping the mom understand normal infant
behaviour. None of what is described is normal behaviour, IMO.

I believe that just as we are all struggling to find a new way to explain
what we once erroneously called "hindmilk-foremilk" imbalance, we will one
day know that this kind of stooling pattern is a red flag about poor gut
integrity. Something is going on and I would be looking for the cause, not
trying to convince the mother about normal behaviour. (All of this assuming
the baby is being nursed and held as needed, with proper latch, etc). Of
course, babies w/ allergies often will not latch correctly or extract milk
efficiently.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA, going out on that old familiar limb once again!