From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 02:27:20 -0700
Hello to all,

I promised a mom I would ask another 1000+ Lactation Professionals about her
situation.  I suspect, to quote Dr. Jack, we will be "sacrificing
breastfeeding on the altar of ignorance" for this one.

Mom called this afternoon with about a three week old baby.  Mom has newly
developed Rheumatoid Arthritis.  First had symptoms on the same day her milk
came in.  Doctor says - Some women have odd reactions to lactation and
perhaps breastfeeding is causing the arthritis. (!!!)  Further, Doctor would
want to treat with tetracycline and prednisone but will not prescribe it
because she is breastfeeding.

The drug part is easy, just quoted Hale and suggested perhaps the Doctor
look at AAP recommendations on Drugs and Lactation.  The arthritis part is
not so easy.  I have NEVER heard of breastfeeding causing arthritis in a
mother.  Have any of you heard of this?

TIA

Linda L. Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix AZ