From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:41:54 EDT
skin to skin, pump to maintain the supply, attempt to nurse every 2-3hrs,
keep time at the breast pleasant... and supplement to grow.>>

All of us have seen babies who suck their tongues, don't flange right, suck
on the lower lip, have slightly decreased muscle tone and so on.  Persistence
is almost all that matters!  No, persistence and ABSOLUTE absence of bottles.
 Close follow up by a skilled, experienced LC will get moms through these
first days.  Support and encouragement may be just as important as adjusting
the latch.

Please get rid of all bottles and support the parents in the knowledge that
they have time to get this baby nursing and that they have plenty of time
before there is any danger.

Lori, I don't know you at all (that's OK, you don;t know me either .  .  .)
but I am not sure why you suggested formula and then more formula to combat
weight loss.  You have not mentioned that this baby is anything other than a
healthy full term good-sized newborn.  If so, there is virtually never any
need for supplements of any kind.  Weight loss and slow latch-learning are
100% acceptable in almost every single baby.  I am sorry if I seem to be
belaboring this point but I found your post very disconcerting.  "Growing" is
not a priority in the first week or two.

Maybe I have misunderstood and this is a premie  .  .  . or a baby in a
higher risk group.

Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP, IBCLC